One of the main problems of the logistics and storage field is the packaging management.
The challenge is:
- raising spendings on packaging,
- learning the culture of working with new packaging,
- packaging maintenance costs - storage, service and maintenance (human resource involvement, IT system),
- problems with the control of packaging rotation and its efficiency,
- rapid response to increasing demand in the high season,
- low durability of packaging,
- high (per-balance) costs of disposable packaging.
Companies have difficulties to determine the full amount of packaging needed in production, storage, transportation, in customer’s plant and at the peak of the season. It often happens that the secondary packaging is lost, destroyed and the recipient holds it too long or returns wrong/damaged packaging. The functional limitations of packaging are: the lack of stacking and folding possibility and economics of internal and external transport. The cost of rotating of the packaging fleet is often unrated.
Packaging management - issues.
Problems with efficient use of packaging.