Ampacet, a global masterbatch leader, has introduced REVIVE 962 E, a compatibilizer masterbatch that enables recycling of multi-material packaging made of polyolefin and technical polymer components into quality film applications.
While most flexible, mono-material packaging films - polyethylene and polypropylene - can easily be mechanically recycled, recycling multi-material packaging structures presents challenges. Food products, for example, may require multi-material packaging to provide gas barrier functionality that protects packaged food, extends shelf life and reduces food waste. Disturbing the polyolefin recycling stream with non-polyolefin components must be avoided when recycling multi-material packaging films in order to ensure a level of quality that allows upcycling into new packaging.
Ampacet REVIVE 962 E offers a sustainable solution for multi-material polyolefin barrier packaging that enables use of reclaimed material in quality film applications and provides an alternate end-of-life to landfill disposal. Ampacet REVIVE 962 E allows higher usage of recycled plastics and helps to reduce consumption of virgin material.
Ampacet REVIVE 962 E is specifically designed for in-house recycling of polyolefin EVOH-based barrier film industrial scraps back into the original film structure, when preservation of optical and mechanical properties is required. Ampacet REVIVE 962 E improves the homogeneity and transparency of reprocessed polymer blends. Mechanical properties of films made with these blends are similar to the main base polymer.
Circular Economy is a mandate for the plastic packaging industry in order to meet the recycling targets set by the European Commission. The European Commission mandates a minimum of 50% recycling of plastic packaging by 2025 (55% by 2030), targeting 10 million Mt of recycled plastics to be reused in the EU.
For more information on Ampacet REVIVE 962 E and other Ampacet sustainable solutions such as:
- REC-NIR-BLACK (Plastics Recycling Awards Winner 2019): carbon black-free range of masterbatch solutions enabling black packaging waste to be sorted and recycled;
- Odor Scavenger (Plastics Recycling Awards Finalist 2020): a powerful wide-spectrum odor absorber;
- Blue Edge 78 masterbatch: counteracts the “dirty” effect in PET post-consumer recycled plastics;
- Blue Edge 226 (Plastics Recycling Awards Finalist 2020): counteracts the “dirty” effect in PE post-consumer recycled plastics;
- REC-O-BLACK 216 & 344 black masterbatches: made from RECycled and RECOvered post-consumer feedstocks
- BIO RANGE: masterbatches for compostable bioplastics & biodegradable applications