Styrenic polymers have become a material of choice for medical and healthcare applications. As a high-value alternative to other standard materials, innovative styrenics provide high performance solutions at lower costs. Whether incorporated into infusion systems, flexible medical devices, respiratory or cardiovascular devices, medical and healthcare applications based on styrenics are setting unparalleled standards in design and aesthetics, safety, resistance and durability performance.
"Medical suppliers across the globe are constantly looking for ways to differentiate themselves from the competition through improvements to performance, design and cost reduction. Compamed is an ideal opportunity for these OEMs to experience the latest material trends that will drive the future of a market in transition. As a global company with deep industry expertise, Styrolution works side-by-side with its partners to deliver medical solutions offering premium aesthetics and performance at a competitive price", states Pieter Bekaert, Head of Healthcare EMEA, Styrolution.
With wide-reaching expertise and a dedication to unique service, Styrolution strives to offer a global footprint with a personal touch, working closely with customers to help them establish a competitive advantage through best-in-class service, high quality, customized styrenic solutions and reliable formulations. Visitors can experience the following applications first-hand during a visit to Styrolution’s booth at Compamed:
Customer applications featured at Compamed 2015:
- Intravenous (IV) sets that employ Terlux HD require high transparency, chemical resistance, excellent stiffness and high-impact strength. Based on a 20-year industry expertise, Styrolution created best-in-class transparency for medical staff to easily monitor whether liquids flow correctly through the device.
- Leading medical customers chose Styrolution's Styrolux for the development of their medical drip chambers due to its excellent transparency, high impact strength and good flowability.
- Microspec chose Styroflex for the development of its medical tubes consisting of multi-lumens which act as stabilizers for filter elements. Styroflex is a thermoplastic elastomer that is ideally suited to medical tubing applications, offering transparency, thermal stability, elasticity, excellent processability and can be sterilized.
- Teva selected Novodur HD for the dry powder inhaler's shaft because it offered a unique combination of high surface quality, dimensional stability, heat resistance and robustness. For the mouth piece cover, the company selected Styrolution’s transparent Terlux HD which helps avoid contamination. The color of the Spiromax's mouth piece cover indicates which medication is enclosed.
- Omron blood pressure monitor is a fully automated blood monitor containing intelligent technology to give fast, comfortable and accurate blood pressure readings. Omron employed Terluran for the housing due to its high gloss and colorability.
- GN ReSound A/S is a Danish innovator in the field of medical hearing aid devices. Terlux HD was selected for the transparent adapter in between the device and the ear as it offers excellent transparency, chemical resistance, impact strength, and stiffness, while Terluran was selected for the device housing due to its excellent self colorability.
- Novodur is Styrolution's brand of easily processable specialty ABS grade with well-balanced mechanical properties and excellent chemical and stress cracking resistance. The new Novodur HD development ABS offers improved stiffness and even better environmental stress cracking resistance (ESCR) specially tested and proven against aggressive hospital cleaners.
- Zylar/Clearblend and Styrolux are ideal for medical applications, such as IV sets, offering outstanding sterilizability, excellent transparency and low yellow index. Complementing the material's outstanding color compensation, these grades also offer medical device manufacturers benefits in processing and flowability.
- Styrolution offers further advanced specialty grades for flexible medical applications, like drip chambers, as well as medical tubing for IV sets. The innovative material solutions offer a density advantage of 20 to 30 per cent compared to other polymers, an outstanding bonding performance, and excellent processability.