“This study, commissioned to Bio Intelligence Service, aims to put forward the most suitable scenario in order to further improve the sustainability of plastics via recycling in Europe in the period to 2020. Enhancing plastics recycling will save scarce resources, create jobs and reduce environmental impacts” said Ton Emans (PRE President).
Ton Emans underlined that "the current plastics recycling situation is no longer acceptable. In the long run, economic growth, demographic changes and growing scarcity of raw materials will not allow Europe the luxury of wasting 76% of all plastic materials used. Urgent measures are needed in order to increase recycling rates for plastics. This study proposes crucial measures that should be taken in order to achieve this."
The implementation of the Vision for Resource Efficiency will:
- Efficiently use all plastic waste generated by putting 11 million tonnes (Mt) of plastics recyclates on the market;
- Divert more than 24 Mt of plastic waste from landfill;
- Recover energy from 7.5 Mt of residual waste;
- Create around 360 000 jobs (of which 120 000 directly employed by recyclers);
- Save more than €4.5 billion (by substitution for virgin plastics);
- Avoid emissions of more than 26 MtCO2.