Borealis and Borouge, leading providers of innovative, value-creating solutions for the energy industry, announce the launch of the first material solution free of azodicarbonamide (ADCA) for use as a blowing agent in foamed communication cables. As an innovative replacement solution, the ADCA-free grade HE4883 was developed in partnership with Brand-Rex Ltd, a leading developer of cabling solutions for network infrastructure and industrial applications. HE4883 will become the material of choice for next-generation, higher category communication cables.
The 2016 Cisco® Global Cloud Index has forecast a tripling of global data centre IP traffic over the next five years, with an overall compound annual growth rate of 27% in the years 2015 to 2020. Factors contributing to rising data volumes include growth in the number of hyperscale data centres, and the increasing popularity of cloud computing. By moving towards higher category data cables, global communication networks can better respond to these trends.
At the same time, the European Chemical Agency (ECHA) has classified ADCA, commonly used as a blowing agent for foamed communication cables, as a “Substance of Very High Concern” due to its respiratory sensitising properties. Because the substance has now been recommended for inclusion on the ECHA Annex XIV list of compounds requiring prior authorisation for use, a viable replacement solution fulfilling the same stringent quality and processing demands as ADCA is needed.
ADCA-free HE4883: no trade-off necessary to enjoy both reliability and sustainability
Borealis’ launch of the innovative grade HE4883 addresses both issues by offering an ADCA-free material solution for physically foamed data cables up to category (Cat 8). The new HE4883 boasts the same benefits as its predecessor HE4873 – long the leading foamed data grade for Cat 7 data cables used in data centres – but offers several compelling advantages:
ADCA-free: no need for ADCA as a blowing agent meets requirements for Cat 6, Cat 7 and Cat 8 data cables fully formulated compound for reliable consistency
- optimal cell structure:
- superior concentricity and homogenous cell structure support higher frequency transmission characteristics,
- greater cell homogeneity and uniformity deliver increased resilience, enable higher twisting speeds and jacketing line speed without crush damage to cables,
- enhanced process stability with reduced preparation time, longer production runs, and less scrap,
- higher line speeds of up to nearly 2000 m/min (metre per minute) possible,
- improved dissipation factor versus HE4873,
- formulated to achieve best electric performance across a broad spectrum of frequencies,
Developed in partnership with Scotland-based Brand-Rex Ltd, HE4883 helps network providers offer higher volume data transmission in a more reliable way.
- Using HE4883 in our products will allow the next generation of high performance data communication cables to use more environmentally sound materials whilst still maintaining the excellent processing capacity and electrical performance that we expect today - says Kennedy Miller, Technology and Sustainability Manager at Brand-Rex Ltd.
- As a leading global innovator, Borealis always stays one step ahead of the game - says Bart Verheule, Borealis Head of Marketing Energy. “Part of our mission in ‘bringing energy all around’ is to anticipate the needs of our customers in order to provide sustainable and innovative solutions. By offering an ADCA-free material solution we are helping our customers become more efficient and reliable. Thus they can respond better to the challenges and opportunities the digital revolution brings.”
Borealis will officially launch its new innovation HE4883 for ADCA free data cables at the AMI Cables Conference from 7 to 9 March in Cologne, Germany.
Borealis launches first ADCA-free material solution for data cables